A UW zine?

General Uncharted Worlds and tangential matters discussion
LarpWellington
Class 0

A UW zine?

Post by LarpWellington » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:55 am

If you follow Kickstarter, you'll have noticed that they're doing a thing called ZineQuest - a month-long promotion of rpg zines and zine-style publications. The rules are simple: gaming content, A5 or smaller, stapled or saddle-stitched format, and one-colour printing. So I'm wondering: does anyone want to do a UW zine (or a supplement in zine format)? And what would you put in it?

SGomes
Class 0

Re: A UW zine?

Post by SGomes » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:26 pm

I'll be honest I have no idea what a zine is or why it needs to be kickstarted. It's... indie self-publishing? Is it supposed to be regularly released, or...?

LarpWellington
Class 0

Post by LarpWellington » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:11 am

I think in this case its mostly a nostalgia kick for a certain format of publication common in the 80s and early 90s. Nowdays, people would just release a PDF. A modern example would be Codex, for the Gauntlet community, or the various Ars Magica publications that have come and gone over the years.

Clasically a zine is regularly released. But that requires an awful lot of creativity (or a decent pool of writers) to keep churning it out.

AaronGriffin
Class 0

Post by AaronGriffin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Zines are things from the olden years before 2000. People would print cheap pamphlets of art or music or poetry and give them away or sell them for $1 or whatever.

They've gained new steam in the era where everything is digital and owning something physical is novel. Couple this with the FOMO generated by the idea that some zines are print only and NEVER available in PDF, and you got a decent marketing scheme.

ZineQuest is a KS thing where people make short, lo-fi products in this manner. The idea seems to be an attempt to encourage folks that not every KS needs to be super polished.